Blessed Gérard's Hospice HAART Programme
|Statistics (as on 19 May 2021)|
|AIDS patients on treatment||725 grand total|
- This year 2,000,000 people have died from AIDS in Africa.
- According to an United Nations- and World Health Organisation report South Africa is the country with the fastest growing AIDS epidemic in the world with 1,500 people newly infected with HIV every day.
- kwaZulu/Natal has one of the highest
- HIV rates in the world with 33 % of the 15 to 49 year olds being HIV positive.
- 20 % of the miners are HIV positive.
(Source: BBC World Report)
Six million South Africans will be infected with HIV by the year 2005. Most of them will come from kwaZulu/Natal
Already 150000 people have died from AIDS in kwaZulu/Natal in the past seven years.
It will only take another two years for that figure to double. Research has shown that by the year 2014, when AIDS mortality is at its peak, 130000 people will be dying each year. Last year alone AIDS killed more people in the province than all other causes together. By 2006 the cumulative total of AIDS deaths in kwaZulu/Natal will have surpassed one million. And by 2016 the number will reach two million in absence of a cure.
- 6 Babies die of AIDS each day in kwaZulu/Natal.
- 4000 people are infected per day in Southern Africa.
- 20% of women attending antenatal clinics in kwaZulu/Natal in 1995 were infected with HIV.